Mold is everywhere. The Centers for Disease Control states that “there is always a little mold everywhere-in the air and on many surfaces.” So, you can safely remove small amounts of mold, such as mold that grows in your toilet or shower. However, the CDC goes on to say that “certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically “mycotoxins).” For that reason, if you have a large area of mold growth in your home, it is best to call in a professional for mold removal.
Signs You Need a Professional to Handle Your Mold Removal
How do you know if you need professional mold removal? Follow these guidelines:
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states you should not clean up moldy areas that are larger than a 3’x3’ patch (roughly 10 square feet).
- The EPA recommends hiring a qualified professional if there is significant water damage accompanying the mold.
- If you suspect mold is in your HVAC system, you should hire a professional, certified mold removal company.
- If your home suffered water damage from contaminated water (sewage, etc.) you should hire a professional to remove the mold.
Risks of Removing Mold Yourself
Mold can cause a variety of health problems, including skin and eye irritation, sore throat, coughing, wheezing, asthma attacks, and sinus and lung problems. Those most at risk for adverse reactions to mold exposure include those with compromised immune systems and allergies to mold. Mold exposure can result in chronic lung disease.
In addition to health risks you may expose yourself to if you attempt to remove mold yourself, other risks include:
- Failing to remove all the mold
- Failing to properly remediate the home to a healthy environment
- Causing mold to spread
- Allowing mold to contaminate your HVAC system
- Failing to diagnose what is causing the mold to grow
- Failing to recognize dangerous types of molds
If you are unsure of whether it is safe to remove mold in your home, contact a professional. There is nothing more important than keeping yourself and your loved ones safe, and a professional mold inspection, removal, and remediation company can give you the peace of mind you need to feel safe in your home.
What to Look for When Choosing a Professional to Remove Mold
Many companies claim to be experts at mold removal. But to ensure that you select a company that adheres to all safety standards, look for an established company that has provided emergency restorations for many years.
Next look to certifications, such as a MICRO Certified Mold Inspector designation, and an Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).
You should also find a company that provides additional services that often accompany the discovery of mold growth, such as air duct cleaning and water damage restoration. Because mold can grow quickly once you’ve suffered from water damage, it is best to choose a company that offers 24/7 emergency services.
Book a Mold Inspection and Removal Appointment in Oregon
ProKleen is a leading Oregon emergency restoration company with more than 20 years of success. In addition to mold inspections and removal, we provide water damage restoration, HVAC duct cleaning, fire damage restoration, asbestos removal, smoke damage and odor removal, and sewage and biohazard cleanup services. Call 541-857-1818 or send us a message to book emergency restoration services today.